Friday, January 2, 2009

humbling.

My Grandpa read this to my family on Christmas Eve, and my mom printed me out a copy. I thought it was really amazing, and really humbling. One of my resolutions this year is to be more humble and to be more appreciative of what i have and not be so greedy. So I thought I'd share this with all of you too...

"If we could string the earth's population to a village of 100 people, there would be:
57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 Westerners
8 African
52 females
48 males
70 non-whites
30 whites
70 non-Christians
30 Christians
6 people would have 59% of the wealth, and all 6 of them would be from the U.S.A.
80 would live in horrible housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
Only 1 would have a college education
Only 1 would have a computer

If you have food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep...you're richer than 75% of the world.
If you woke up this morning with more health than illness, you are more blessed than the million who will die this week from sickness.
If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and change in your car, you are in the top 8% of the world's wealthy.
If you can attend a church meeting without fear of arrest, torture, or death, you are more blessed than 3 billion people in the world.
If you have never experienced danger of war, the loneliness of prison, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.
If you can hold someone's hand, hug them, or even touch them on the shoulder, you are blessed because there is love in your life."

--Unknown.

3 comments:

  1. hey! so I was looking at your pictures and I saw your bed... and guess what? We have the same bed! I love that bed its so nice! Jay D's parents bought before he got home from his mission and gave it to us when we got married!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every word of that is true. I think your resolutions are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen sista! good post. great thought.

    ReplyDelete