Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cranberry Almond Breakfast Muffins


I was reading through an app on my phone for Health and Fitness UK magazine, and I came across this yummy looking recipe...had to try it out! Problem was, all the measurements were listed in milimeters and grams, not cups and teaspoons, weird right? I also didn't have some of the healthier ingredients they called for, so I improvised it into this recipe of my own, and added a crumble topping. It turned out delicious, and I added up the calories with my 'not so healthy' ingredients, and they turned out to be 300 calories/muffin. With a yummy glass of vanilla soy milk in the morning, it's delicious!

I'll list the recipe with my ingredients, and the ingredient they called for, so you can decide what you'd like to use:

CRANBERRY ALMOND MUFFINS

  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil (sunflower oil)
  • 1 T. white sugar (caster sugar)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 T. plain greek yogurt (low-fat yogurt)
  • 1 minced honey crisp apple (any apple)
  • 1/2 c. dried and sweetened cranberries (dried unsweetened cranberries)
  • 1/2 c. all purpose flour (wholemeal flour)
  • 1/4 c. whole grain oats (porridge oats)
  • 1 T. chopped almonds (flaked almonds)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1 T. chopped almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first 6 ingredients together. In seperate bowl, mix the next 4 dry ingredients. Fold into wet mixture, just until mixed. Pour into 6 muffin liners. Mix brown sugar and remaining chopped almonds, and sprinkle on top.
Bake for 20 minutes

Each muffin:
calories: 300
total fat: 21.2 g
cholesteral: 80 mg
total carbs: 24.6 g

2 comments:

  1. those look scrumptious.

    i found out today that your cousin is taking out my wisdom teeth. woot woot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Definitely gonna have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete